View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Reading that ruling, it's not clear to me that the runner is actually awarded the base.

I know "the runner cannot be called out between the bases they were obstructed". If that is the primary decision point, then I guess there would be no choice but to award third base.

However, the ruling states: "The umpire will award R1 and any other runners the base or bases they would have reached had there been no obstruction."

So if the umpire's judgment concludes that no way would R1 have made it to third base safely had there been no obstruction, can he call her out?

BTW, the ruling also states that F6 is ejected.
An obstructed runner cannot be put out between the two bases, even if she was "dead" on an infield play. The defense cannot be rewarded for a rules violation even if the violation would not have changed the destiny of the play. We cannot call her out under 8-4-3b. R1 must be awarded a base; either 2B or 3B. Since R1 has two succeeding runners behind her, 3B is the only option.