View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Schoolhouse Gate ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
... freedom of speech and expression.
As a retired teacher, I am very aware that the Supreme Court has decided that, in some limited cases, students do shed their constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression at the schoolhouse gate.

"The constitutional rights of students in public school are not automatically coextensive with the rights of adults in other settings … the freedom to advocate unpopular and controversial views in schools and classrooms must be balanced against society’s countervailing interest in teaching students the boundaries of socially appropriate behavior."

"Educators do not offend the First Amendment by exercising editorial control over the style and content of student speech in school-sponsored expressive activities so long as their actions are reasonably related to legitimate pedagogical concerns."

"A school must be able to set high standards for the student speech that is disseminated under its auspices "

"School-sponsored publications, theatrical productions, and other expressive activities that students, parents and members of the public might reasonably perceive to bear the imprimatur of the school . . . whether or not they occur in a traditional classroom setting, so long as they are supervised by faculty members and designed to impart particular knowledge or skills to student participants and audiences."

Is yelling "SAT Scores" at a basketball game, to disrespect another high school, socially appropriate behavior? There's the rub.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2016 at 09:51am.