View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 10:42pm
The Whistle of Justice

I work with a young (24) female official on my crew (3 person) with this being her 1st full season on varsity and I must say she did a tremendous job. Obviously there were some learning moments, but all officials have those, usually (hopefully) every game if they are striving to always get better. Overall, our strongest games were with her working a BV.

Every time we entered the gym during pre-game heads would turn as fans and players noticed a female ref coming on the court. Many of the girl players would come up to her thanking her for doing the game prior to starting saying, "we're so happy you are reffing our game, we've played for 7 years and never had a female ref!" Fans would give her high fives after the game (BV) as we came back out of the locker room saying, "You rocked it out there!" She's also gotten positive feedback from both coaches and ADs.

She's very good about switching up her game calling when it comes to GV or BV. This could be attributed to many things and as interesting as it may seem, most of her learning and growth in officiating came from working intramurals during college and I feel that really helped her understand contact, advantage/disadvantage, and reffing based on quickness, rhythm, balance, speed.

We only have 5 women in our entire association and she's the only one working both GV and BV. We'll see where she goes but she works harder than many throughout the area and I feel she'll move up if she wants it.