Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Often Debated

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20

There has been some debate here and elsewhere how much the BU sees when he is out of position i.e. in "B" with a left-handed batter or "C" with a right-handed hitter.
Not to start the debate, Jim, but I don't think an official is "out of position" when in either B or C to make that call. I'd agree that being at the open corner is better, but still the call can easily be made from B or C. I don't agree with officials who say they can't make the call from there. They can, and they must (when required)...

Freix
Perhaps the thinking has changed over the years however, I think there are two schools of thought on this. From the PBUC (Professional Baseball Umpire Corp.) manual copyright 2000 page 4 covers such an appeal.

Plate umpire...must appeal to the appropriate base umpire if requested by the defensive manager or catcher. The plate umpire may --on his own volition--ask for help from the appropriate base umpire if in doubt on a checked swing.

If the crew is working with three umpires, the plate umpire shall always ask for help from the first-base umpire with a right-handed batter at bat and shall ask for help from the third base umpire with a left-handed batter at bat

I think this dispels the notion that BU in either B or C is equally equipped to render assistance on the checked swing. Of course I can understand some of the thinking that it doesn’t matter if we are not looking for the barrel of the bat but more did he offer at the pitch.

Nevertheless, if there are two schools PU and BU should determine in the pre-game what school it will be for that game. Personally, I don’t have a problem with an added strike but I imagine some umpires, and not necessarily Smittys might.