View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think the lack of honesty from assigners is the real problem. They want you to hang on and work the scraps but won't be honest as to why you're not getting the games you want.

I only assign varsity games and I've had a conversation with a couple of officials about why I won't use them. Not all went well. But I think officials deserve some honesty and transparency.
This!

I have never kidded myself in thinking I should be working the top games or even have my schedule full of match-ups that most people would look at and think were above average. I understand those games are going to go the best officials...and younger officials on the way up are going to be put in them before me, if for no other reason than to see if they are ready. But I also don't want all the games nobody else will take.

Heck, I am a big boy...if I need to be told that this last schedule is the best I can hope for at this stage in life, fine...tell me and I can move forward.

For years I told myself "This is the most important game of the night for everyone involved." But face it...that isn't always true. I had more than one game last season where it was obvious by the middle of the 2nd that one team simply did not care. I still gave my best effort because you never know who is watching but I could not help but think afterward "If they didn't want to be there, why should I want to be there?"

Maybe I am turning into a "Grumpy Old Official" (will turn 59 this summer) but just because every game at every level, regardless of the ability of the participants, deserves competent officials doesn't mean I have to be one of those officials.

Anyway...time to start listening to the "gurus" on TV and radio so I can fill out my bracket.