View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Must Check

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w_sohl

Rich
Quote:

I am jumping into the middle of this topic so I am sorry if I am repeating something that was already voiced. I don't see the problem with Rich's mechanic on a checked swing. All he is doing is vocalizing what he thought happened. We do the same thing when we don't call strike, we are telling the players that we don't think he offered and therfore we are calling it a ball. Now if you are 100% sure that you are correct and they ask for an appeal you do not need to grant it, you are the final authority. If i wasn't 100% and I vocalized my opinion and they asked for an appeal I might go with the appeal. I know this will bring a coach out of the dugout if the call is changed, but I would explaine to him the exact same thing, "Coach, I wasn't 100%, so I went to my partner for help." But, just for the sake of argument, I don't vocalize unless I am 100%.
In OBR the PU is required to "go for help" on an appeal from the catcher or manager. I understand that in FED it is optional but sound advice is to treat it the same as OBR. There has been some debate here and elsewhere how much the BU sees when he is out of position i.e. in "B" with a left-handed batter or "C" with a right-handed hitter. I have suggested to my partners that in those cases as BU I'll likely agree with the BALL call 99% of the time unless the PU say's something to the effect "I was screened (by the catcher) - Did he go?" I am even starting to buy-in to the idea to call the checked-swing no matter where you are.