View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Officials had an opportunity to get together prior to the FT and talk as there was a timeout. Decided that on the ensuing possession, the new lead would have clock for the final shot since new trail would have back to the clock.
Why do people do this? It makes no sense aside from verifying the clock starts. I don't and can't watch the shot and the clock at the same time. Unless you're incredibly lucky, you're not going to have both in a perfect line. You go with the horn, or, if present, the lights on the board. And the trail can do that just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

White throws the ball in and brings it up court. They manage to get 3 different shots off before a foul is called as they make their 4th attempt. Foul is called by lead and as he blows his whistle he looks up and sees 0.0 on the clock. Neither official heard a horn go off to indicate time was out.

What do you do?
And the play demonstrates my very point...the lead was busy covering the play and wasn't able to look at the clock.

Gotta go with the horn. Check with the table to ensure that it was enabled. If it was, administer the foul. If not, try to figure out, with the table's help, how long it had been at 0.

Do note, however, that I've had a few occasions where the horn started to sound just as the timer was stopping the clock such that the horn sound with just a very short and weak bleep, almost in audible in some venues. It is possible that the horn did sound if ever so briefly.