View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles. But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?
The smaller the error the less likely that anyone is to notice.
However, to take your hypothetical to the extreme, if the baskets are an inch off and for whatever reason they cannot be fixed until the next day, I would think that consulting with the teams would be the right thing to do. Either one of them should have the right to protest playing under improper conditions. I would honor such.

Of course, Billy, you realize that what you are asking is like saying that the only ball which can be found for the boys State Championship game is a girls basketball. It's not going to happen. Somehow, someway, the issue will get fixed.

I'm shocked that the directors, officials, and teams all knew that the baskets were a full foot out of place and that it wouldn't take that long too fix it, yet did nothing about it for the kids. These were games that they will remember for the rest of their lives. You know what they will remember most now? Yep, that the adminstrators didn't care enough to get the damn baskets properly placed. What a shame.