View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

What If ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would not officiate the contest. They can find someone else if they wish to play with incorrect placement of the baskets. Those are fundamental to the game.
Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles.

But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?

A one foot difference? A one hour wait? I believe that I would be as insistent as Nevadaref under those parameters, but what about lesser problems that couldn't be fixed in a short time frame? Both rims one quarter of an inch too short? Can't be fixed for a week? We're probably playing basketball. Rims eleven feet high? Forty-five minute delay? We'll wait. Rims eleven feet high? Twenty-four hour delay? No way we're playing tonight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 08:55am.