View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2016, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

In Washington, the "regional" round (state round of 16) and state finals are both assigned by the Washington Officials' Association from nominations by local associations.

Allotments to the local associations are based proportionally on number of certified officials and number of schools served (with equal weight); local associations have freedom to make those nominations as they choose. Some use their year-end ratings from previous season (mine); others combine those with a mid-year rating; still others, the board decides; there may be others.

The regional round mixes officials from different associations; my game this past weekend I (from Snohomish County north of Seattle) worked with a Seattle official and one from the Vancouver (WA) area. Travel exists but is rarely more than an hour or two.

The 3 state tournament sites each get 12 boys' officials and 12 girls' officials. They work two classifications at each site, so two 8-team tournaments, over 3 days (2 games each day except saturday, where some only get 1) with crews mixing. Each of the 12 gets a semifinal; two crews of 3 receive a final based on a mix of evaluator and peer ratings.