View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2016, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Unless I misunderstood, in Texas the first two rounds of the playoffs are assigned by the local chapter. The participating schools agree on the chapter to use and typically leave it to the chapter to select the officials.

For the Regional and State levels, each chapter submits a list of recommendations to the UIL (State governing body)...I think they are allowed 20 names on each list (you will often see names on both list). The UIL, probably in conjunction with the THSBOA, selects officials for the regional and state tournaments...for both boys and girls. I am not sure if an official will work a regional tournament and the state tournament in the same year. Here, each classification (1A through 6A) has their Final Four in the same place...girls one week, boys the next...on Thursday - Saturday. Twelve crews of 4 are assigned to State and the crews that work the finals are selected after the semi-finals (the typically avoid putting a crew in a game with a school from their area).

This year our chapter has an official working his third straight state tournament. A few years ago our chapter could not work a finals game as a team from our coverage area was in every finals.