View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Along the same lines, a couple of weeks ago, at the pretournament meeting (State Tournament, 11-12 LL), the question was raised regarding pitchers wearing sunglasses. It was stated that some umpires allow, some don't.

I have never had this raised as a concern anywhere. I could not find a rule in the LL book. Someone mentioned sunglasses were O.K., as long as they didn't have "mirror lens".

I don't see how sunglasses or eye black could be distracting to the batter, and that usually the basis for a coach raising a question. Actually, the coach is trying to "rattle" the pitcher, to his team's advantage. That's like the defensive coach demanding the pitcher's shoe laces be tied. If the pitcher knows his shoes are untied, and that's the way he wants it, why would the defense, or the umpire for that matter, feel the urgent need to correct him?

I've heard of foreign substance(s) being applied to the ball, however, I'm not certain there is any rule regarding a foreign substance on a player's face. If the eye black ends up on the ball, deal with it. If not, then it's another "so what", play ball!

If sunglasses are not allowed, what do you say about prescription glasses with tinted lens?