View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Our computer speeds must be different because Rut's video has the horn sound with the ball about 3/4s of the way to the basket.
I am able to hear the horn and pause my video such that it stops with the ball only about 1 foot out of her hands. I don't know how quickly my computer can process my pause request, but the ball could be still in her hands when the horn sounds or just barely out.

These things are tough to tell via a youtube video because of how computers work at different speeds and process sound.
I have the horn, on both videos, being coincident with the release...which is why I looked at the time on the clock.

You really can't trust the sound on any of the streaming videos for that very reason....the path the video takes is different than the path the audio takes and they can get out of sync. The same may also be true of home theaters setups....but probably to a smaller degree. For that matter, the camera taking the video could also introduce some skew.

There is no reason for a horn to start sounding after the clock gets to 0.0 if it is operating correctly. If there is any apparent delay, it would be due to the distance from the horn to the camera, meaning you'll hear the horn later than it when it actually sounds....about 1/10 of a second for every 110 feet. The same applies to the officials....so it is relative to both distances. If the officials are closer, they'll hear it a bit before the camera picks it up.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Feb 28, 2016 at 04:41am.