View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Word Tax?

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
A line by line rebuttal, Peter? Wow! I really must have struck a nerve ending or two!

...What an OPUS! Between that reply and the 11-part, 9000+ word series you have just posted at Officiating.com, it is truly a wonder you didn't choke when accusing ME of verbosity and hypocrisy!

Have a nice day!

NOTE THE ABOVE QUOTE HAS BEEN CONDENSED WITHOUT THE AUTHOR'S PERMISSION

Sometimes the only thing that separates this site from McGriff's appears to be that we have more experienced umpires who have a well-identified command of the English language. I think that we should consider taxing any post that is beyond a certain length or is a flame.

Nevertheless, there are still pieces of advice I draw upon. I liked Warren's suggestion that on a steal of the plate if the PU is set we should assume the batter is ready as pertains to a Quick Pitch. I also took the advice on becoming set when the pitcher is set. I had been coming set later i.e. just before the release. Although I had little trouble nor complaints about my strike zone I am going to try this earlier set for my remaining games.

If it ends up improving my umpire skills then being here (although not necessarily this thread) was worth the visit. Maybe that's what we should each ask before we press that POST button. Does this add any value Jim/NYC