View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I work with a lot of narcissistic a-holes then. The whole South must be full of them.

Coaches and players have never had a problem addressing me without knowing either my first or last name. I think a lot of officials have an exaggerated sense of how memorable they are to the players and coaches. I ran into a player at the barber shop the other day, a player I have ref'd frequently through his HS career. It wasn't "Hey Mr. Ref", it was "don't ref basketball?". These folks forget us as soon as we leave the gym. Whether or not they know my name is of little consequence to them, me, or my career.
Point taken. It's not that I care if you introduce yourself as Mr. BNR. It's more I'm boggled by people who's self-worth crumbles because a "child" who apparently isn't their "equal" calls them by their first name.

I think a lot of people, officials included, have an exaggerated sense of self. Which is most likely the problem in the OP. I'm not sure how being memorable is a bad thing when being memorable gives you a better chance at playoff games.