View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

In my neck of the woods we introduce ourselves by first name at the captains meeting along with head coaches. We try to address players as Men and Ladies (or some combination). At the end of the day, being a part of high school athletics is a great way to help build the future generation. We expect respect and I think if you personally feel respect is calling you Mr. or Miss ________, then thats your business. I also realize the longer I do this, different generations have different viewpoints based on their upbringing and culture/society around them.

I was in a very poor area last Friday doing a game. Some of the comments and attitudes that were displayed that night, I wasn't very excited about. However, I also recognize that this coach had her hands full. So I decided to be more patient and talk with players more to try and help work through some of these things. It was a different approach than I might have taken other nights when I felt they were being disrespectful. You might think thats wrong, but to me, there is a bigger picture here in why we do this.