View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I also think how far you go in post-season is relative based on where you're located. If I had stayed in Oregon, I am fairly certain I would have made it to a state tourney by now. I will never make it to state in Texas. I say that based on the number of officials who make it from the areas I've lived in as well as the fact that this is a much larger state and there are just way more people who are more deserving in my association. I'm not upset by that - it just doesn't always tell the whole story of whether you're "better" than someone who lives in a different area.
This can be a major factor. There are so many variables going into who gets playoff games, but in some areas there's just not a lot you can do. If you can figure out the correct path you'll have a shot, but it's rarely ever going to be just because you're a good official.

However, in the end, if you're not getting the games you want there could be a lot of stuff holding you back. Getting good playoff games, or probably any at all, has a lot to do with who votes for you and how you're viewed.

Are you a good partner? If partners remember you and want to work with you again then you're probably fine here. Officiating isn't about you, but the crew. The assigner wants to know, or should, that his go to officials can work well on any crew.

What do coaches/ADs/etc think? There are some officials who are insanely fit and great play callers but they are just awkward when it comes to communication/relations. There are some great officials who are hot heads and it holds them back. Or they just think they're a gift to man kind and shouldn't have to communicate with anyone on a humane level.

TLDR: Assigners want to trust whoever their putting on the game. From what I've seen, they usually have a large pool of officials that can call a good game. Calling a good game is only one piece of officiating, though depending where you are it could be a small or large one.

Last edited by Dad; Tue Feb 23, 2016 at 11:36am.