View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The season starts and ends a little earlier in Texas than in many other places, and tonight I have the good fortune of working in my 4th playoff game this post-season. Our association works hard to be one of the most respected in the state, so we tend to get games far outside our general region in the state. Last Friday I also had the good fortune to be chosen to work a game 300 miles away (there are about 4 associations between ours and that game, but ours was requested - the schools playing in the game get a choice and if they can't agree, the UIL chooses for them). The R for that game was the association president and my other partner was familiar with board activity as well, so I learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes on that long drive. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who gets post-season games - our ranking in the association, our availability, our evaluations, and the coaches also have a say. There are also a lot of people who complain because they think they deserve something they are not getting. I don't know why I've received 4 games this post-season - I had a great regular season and my assignor thinks I have earned them, one way or another. Maybe I was just available, as I'm pretty certain not many people would be for a game 300 miles away on a Friday. All you can do is work hard to be the best you can be and if you earn it, enjoy every minute of it. It's a lot of fun...
300 MILES?!? My God man, they should fly you there for that one. What was your travel reimbursement if you don't mind me asking?