View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
#2: Should the T take this one? To me that seems like the L should have taken it. Its fine to have two whistles but it just seems like L should have had first crack, just because its on the block right in front of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#2. Correct call. Wrong official takes the call. Should defer to lead.
I believe that this play was mechanically handled correctly. Play originates in Slot's primary. When foul occurs Lead has not completed his rotation (is just starting to turn around). This does not become Lead's primary until he has completed his rotation. From watching my game films I've determined that I miss more calls when I make them at lead while in rotation and the players are moving away from me. I've learned to be patient and give Slot first crack at this play if I am not 100% confident or I will try to put a fist up instead of signalling. The slot official has the best chance at getting this specific play correct because he saw the play from start to finish while barely moving. The lead picks up the play midway through and is moving away from the play while looking back at it. The lead of course has to be prepared to make a call but should go up with a fist to prevent a blarge. This is a great example of why the slot should not rotate out to Trail as soon as they see Lead coming over. When you see the slot doing that it tells me they are not refereeing the play anymore.

Great mechanics/court coverage discussion play! Thank you Jeff for posting it.