View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
This may be an in Rome thing but we were asked by the powers that be to seek out coaches directly to communicate with them/work with them. If a coach is upset about a call find them at the end of half/quarter to let them know what you saw or to hear their grievance. Go talk to coaches to break up time out huddles and share instructions or what you are seeing with them to re-enforce to their players, etc. We were constantly being encouraged to talk more to players and coaches vs blowing the whiste and walking away.

Ironically enough at the same time we were being asked to have a pretty high standard on calling violations and contact so that may have had something to do with it. Expecting coaches to be unused to or upset by tighter standard and talking them through the process. A lot of hand holding in retrospect.
I know this isn't your fault, but as a general rule, I don't like this. This takes the "be approachable" thing too far. It sounds like you're supposed to be their sounding board instead of working the game.

If a coach is near by, I will give them a short answer. If I am the Trail during a free throw or throw-in and the coach right in front of me is asking me something, i will try my best to answer legitimate questions. I will not go in the backcourt to the other bench during a free throw to talk to coaches. A lot of guys do it but I refuse to unless it is something really out of the ordinary that needs an explanation. If I need to address the coach on the other end I will either just turn around and say something or tell him as I run by going to be the new Lead.