View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't worry too much about talking with the coaches. When a coach truly needs an answer, he will find a way to get it. The official doesn't have to worry about making it over to the coach. The opportunity will eventually present itself when warranted.
In fact, it is often better to give no response at all to some of the things that coaches get upset about and just move on with the game. A coach will have perhaps one or two legitimate questions during a game. Anything more is just bellyaching and needless complaining.
This may be an in Rome thing but we were asked by the powers that be to seek out coaches directly to communicate with them/work with them. If a coach is upset about a call find them at the end of half/quarter to let them know what you saw or to hear their grievance. Go talk to coaches to break up time out huddles and share instructions or what you are seeing with them to re-enforce to their players, etc. We were constantly being encouraged to talk more to players and coaches vs blowing the whiste and walking away.

Ironically enough at the same time we were being asked to have a pretty high standard on calling violations and contact so that may have had something to do with it. Expecting coaches to be unused to or upset by tighter standard and talking them through the process. A lot of hand holding in retrospect.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!