View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

1. 100% a rulesbook travel for NFHS and NCAA. The player caught the pass with one foot on the floor and then stepped with his other foot, then again with the pivot foot. Unless I am mistaken the NBA rules deem this legal footwork as the moving player is permitted to come to a stop by stepping once with each foot. Therein lies the problem. We see so many games on TV in which this action is allowed that we become accustomed to it and don't process it as illegal. I would not whistle this in a HS or college game because it is not expected to be deemed a violation and I would be incorrect by rule. My only defense would be the speed of the play and not being sure whether the foot was off the court on the catch or not.

2. There are two fouls here by two different defenders. The first is a slap during the dribble. The second occurs when the player has the ball in two hands at chest height. If he goes up to shoot from there, I would deem the foul to be in the act of shooting, however he bring the ball down towards his waist and then goes back up. Therefore, this foul is prior to the act of shooting.

3. This is an egregious travel which allows the player to avoid a defender. One of the three officials must get this. Unfortunately, I think that the C needs to provide the help here and that the L can't be looking out there.

Separate question for the forum members. If you have to make a call such as this directly in front of a partner as happened in this video and the partner gets upset with you how do you react?