View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:23am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm going with a five second count. The player doesn't have to be out of bounds or even have the ball for us to start counting.

The one exception is the 3A varsity assigner who wants us to tell the players on this play and "correct" it for them. i.e. we get the ball and then pass it to them for a throw-in. The league is on the same page so I'm just going with whatever my assigner wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
No you don't. You do the correct thing and tell your assigner that the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee is very clear as to how this play is to be handled.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Correct thing for who? The league would go right on doing what it's doing. I on the other hand would lose $120 nights and 3A votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sorry, Mark. We all have to answer to the people who assign us games. This is no exception. While you could certainly bring the play to the assigner's attention, if he's not convinced, you need to call it his way if you want games.

No one here gets games from the NFHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That would be incorrect....both going with the 5 count AND correcting the players.

The entire point of the case play is that it is a violation as soon as the team moves up the court bypassing the throwin for failing to execute the throwin from OOB.

The 2nd goal in the case is just a distraction.

Dad has stated that he officiates in a H.S. league in which the league assigner has instructed the officials to not follow the NFHS Rules and Casebook Plays with respect to the situation that we are discussing. I took the position that officials are ethically and professionally obligated to conduct the game per the rules. Some posters have taken me to task because I advocated doing the correct thing rather than doing what the assigner wanted.

We are professionals and our code of ethics requires to apply the rules and casebook plays correctly, and to knowingly do otherwise is unethical conduct.

I have nothing further to say because there is nothing else that anybody can say.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio