View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:42pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
We are on the court 15 minutes prior to the game starting. Only one of us is checking the book at the 10-minute mark. Other than the captain's meeting that takes a minute or two, what else do we have to do during those 15 minutes? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, I'm serious. If officials would just take care of the uniform stuff consistently early in the season, it would eliminate most of the headaches. There would still be some teams that wouldn't figure it out, but most would. I can think of two girls' teams right now where I made them change something earlier in the season then saw them again later in the season and they were completely in line with the uniform rules. I'm not taking credit for it, but they figured it out somewhere along the line between those games.

I've heard about a half dozen coaches this season tell me that no one has made them match headbands/leg sleeves/etc all year, and these aren't coaches who I think would lie about this.

Every sport has administrative type rules like this. Football has uniform and equipment rules that the officials have to enforcd. Baseball has rules about sleeve color, etc. Just take care of it and move on. If they don't like it, they'll get over it.
Oftentimes players are wearing shooting shirts and/or warmup pants, so the issues aren't seen until it's about time to tipoff. And when I'm getting ready to get the game going I don't want to stop the game because a headband is the wrong color.

Frankly, I didn't get into officiating to be a part of the fashion police.

Even when it's seen early and fixed without a problem, the fact that I have to deal with it is silly. Coaches don't care because there is no penalty, so the headache is ours for the most part.

What's wrong with making schools/coaches responsible?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk