View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlbc View Post
I'm so glad you can be judge and jury from watching a video clip. Maybe some distinct details would change your mind.

1. Official told admins immediately after the game that he fell because of being shocked and not the coach touching him. When asked if the coach did touch him, the response was "barely".
2. DA charged the coach off of the video evidence solely, as there were no physical injuries, complaint filed by the official, or any other physical evidence. If there hadn't been video he probably wouldn't have even been charged with harassment.
3. Despite your disbelief otherwise this is the first incident like this for the coach/teacher.

So the demonstrative move and contact ("barely" is above "none", which means it can't be tolerated) thoroughly warrant the coach fired from coaching. He shouldn't coach again, but that is up to future employers to decide.

That being said it falls far from something warranting losing his teaching job or getting jail time. I understand not wanting anyone to feel like they can do this to officials in the future, but unfortunately you don't get to crucify this coach's life to make that example.
So your position is basically that it's okay for a coach to try to headbutt a referee so long as the referee's reflexes are good enough that he can avoid it.

It wasn't a "demonstrative move;" it was an attempt to injure. That he was charged with anything less than assault is an injustice.

I don't want the coach's life ruined as a result, but slapping him on the wrist isn't right either.