View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

20 year paramedic. When someone gets hurt I cringe and start looking around for the "hero" coming out of the stands to save the day because I DO NOT want to get involved. That being said, most of the coaches by now are aware what I do for a living. My approach is to be where I can see what is going on, but let the coaches and hopefully the ATC on site handle things. ONLY in an apparent life threatening event (baseball game, commotio cordis... basketball game Hank Gathers type situation) will I willingly get involved.

My recommendation for non-medically trained officials would be to let the coaches and staff handle things.

Speaking of Hank Gathers, I use the video of his collapse and lack of treatment in a lecture I give at EMS conferences and to various EMS groups. I also work it in to my CPR training for laypersons. One of the biggest factors that hinders immediate CPR and treatment in sudden cardiac arrest is lack of recognition and thus treatment. Many times, sudden cardiac arrest may look like a seizure. In the Gathers situation the widely accepted theory is his initial collapse was from a life threatening arrythmia. He essentially converted back into a perfusing rhythm when he hit the floor thus the spontaneous movement seen on the tape. He then arrested again (his heart stopped). He was treated as though he suffered syncope (fainting) or a seizure. The jist of the lawsuits is that none of the medical personnel recognized cardiac arrest until several minutes AFTER he was carried to the locker room.

Last thing and I'll crawl back under my rock- Have you heard or seen about young athletes suddenly who die suddenly in practice or games? Google "Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy" and google "commotio cordis". If you are involved with an athlete who "faints" and a coach does not treat it serious, PLEASE treat this like a concussion situation and take it serious.

Ok one more thing- check out this article...

CPR AED cardiopulmonary resuscitation defibrillator first aid Nurse, EMT, Firefighter Cop Save Referee at Basketball Game | First Aid Corps