Thread: #1 falls
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Coaches are often some of the most disingenuous people I've ever met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
I like to think that coaches mean well by default.
Maybe I just have a sour taste in my mouth after something I experienced this past weekend.

I was working a 3 day, round robin tourney. There was one girls team that I somehow managed to land all 3 of their games.

Day 1, no issues. Of course, they were playing the worst of the other 3 teams that day, and won easily.

Day 2, coach was pretty chirpy starting late 1Q. 2nd quarter, she had something to say and I told her that was enough. Next time down the court, I call a hand checking foul against one of her players. I was C right in front of her bench. She takes a step out onto the floor, points to the other end of the court, and yells, "What about down there!?!?!?" I whack her. Game continues. At the end of the half, she approaches me at the table and apologizes. I let her know that I've moved on. We finish the game with no major issues.

After the game, our crew is in one of the coaches offices just off the gym that acts as our dressing room. There is a door between us and the lockerroom right next door, but at times, you can hear what's going on in the next room. We had discussed the game, changed clothes, and were just kind of moseying around, when we hear a little "cheer" break out on the other side of the door, which was occupied by the coach and team mentioned above. We all missed the first line of the "cheer," but here's what we DID hear:

Kick 'em in the ass
Rah, Rah, Ref
Kick em in the other knee

I ask my partners if I just heard what I thought I had heard. They both confirmed. One of the officials on the crew was the AD at the host school, and the host school was NOT involved in this game. My other partner recommended that we file a complaint with the school that coach was from. The AD Partner said that he thought he could just talk to her and that would take care of it. He spoke to her, but told us that when he did, she denied that the cheer had ANYTHING to do with the refs. A flat out lie.

Day 3, turns out to be the championship game of the round robin tourney as both teams were both undefeated. The game was between this same team and the host school. The only thing this coach said to any of us that night was "Thank You" when we greeted her before the game, and "Time out" when she wanted a timeout. Other than that, NOTHING. And it was a good game -- back and forth all night. No one led by more than 3-4 points at any given time. Home team stole the ball with a little over 10 seconds left and the score tied. Took off on a fast break and got fouled with 7 seconds remaining. FT shooter missed the first, made the second. Visitors, out of timeouts, throw the ball in and it is caught clean at half court. Another quick pass to a player in the FT Circle, who turns, shoots and misses. Her teammate grabs the rebound and puts one up at the buzzer, off the backboard, and it rims out. They lose by 1.

I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason that coach was so quiet in game 3 was because she KNEW she was caught red mouthed the night before. But this is a prime example of why I said that coaches are often disingenuous in their comments to us. They will say whatever they think serves the interests of their teams.