View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Curious about normal operating procedures where some of you all work regarding a couple topics. First off: Distance. What is the furthest you routinely (so not rare instances, but rather typical assignments) travel for HS games? How about JUCO games? D1 I would assume is considerably further. My closest possible varsity game is 15 minutes, but everything after that is over an hour, with the furthest being a little over 3 hours drive. JUCO up to 4.

2nd, do your employers work with you as far as time off is concerned? (I'm a teacher, so while I'm more interested in those responses, I'd like to see others' responses as well to think about from an assigner's POV.) Do you have to take personal time or is not a big deal? I'm lucky enough to teach in a district that has been very supportive and will work with me to find "creative coverage" of my classes when possible.

My closest Varsity game is a 5 minute walk. My farthest is about a 1.5 hour drive. Most are 20-45 minutes (one way).

If I had to drive over an hour to every game (at current rates), I probably wouldn't do it. It just wouldn't be worth the time.

When I did college, the range was farther but the pay was better and the actual number of games wasn't as much.

I don't have a job that I could take a lot of time off from. I can leave early some, but I wouldn't want to push it. That is a big reason I didn't purse staying in college....my day job was a lot more important and I really couldn't regularly take off after lunch to drive 3-5 hours to a game as some of them would have been and then get back so late with work the next morning.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 04:07am.