View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

It is a shame an athlete like Aaron Adair, mentioned in Bloom's article, suffers because of an honest attempt to describe his life's experience to others. If all athletes (and their supporters) had the same high intentions we wouldn't have a phone book-sized body of regulations governing amateur athletics. Of course, if athletes were allowed to write books, and reap the benefits, is there any doubt Nike would've underwritten a Lebron James autobiography?

If I remember correctly, so many years ago, massive abuse by college boosters employing athletes in phantom summer jobs began our tortuous trip down this path. As a result, the Jeremy Blooms of the world can't capitalize on success in other areas. Unfortunately, as seems to always be the case, the abuse of the rules by a few ruins it for everyone.

Last (sorry to be so long-winded), I attended Texas A&M. When Jackie Sherill (I know, I know, he had issues, as well) coached football at A&M he began a tradition in which, with the exception of the kicker, the kick-off team at home games was comprised solely of walk-on athletes. It was a great idea, was hugely successful, and engendered a tremendous sense of camaraderie between the team and the other students. Funny, I don't remember seeing a NY Times article about their perspective.

- Catherine Aird