View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I am not arguing either of your points. 3-2-2a's wording is very clear. It allows the CHANGING of a designated starter for a T as one of several exceptions to avoiding a Team T for making such a change. It is explicit and unambiguous and would trump the substitute sitting a tick rule if not for the case play, which I would not have even thought to look up since the rule is so freaking succinct.

The anyone can shoot a T is a completely separate rule that has nothing to do with 3-2-2a. Absent the exception in 3-2-2a I would argue that a designated starter would have to shoot the T's and that 8-3 would not apply since substitutes are not eligible until the ball has become live to start a game. So the first opportunity would be after the first FT on the T.
Here is the thing, the case book says it is allowed and makes that very clear. That is the purpose of the case book to clarify things that might be confusing or may connect rules that may not seem to be working together. That is why I tell people that often that is why you need to read the case book more than the rulebook.

If you are still arguing what the rule should be, that is why the case book has a play covering this situation.

Peace