View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NBA2003 Send a message via Yahoo to NBA2003
I understand that ideally you want to speak as little as possible to coaches and/or players. But I am interested to hear some good "one-liners" or quick exchanges between officials and players/coaches. Maybe you were in a situation where a coach wouldn't let something die or was posing a question and demanded an answer. Maybe you haven't been involved in such situations, but you saw another official defuse a situation with a couple words. I would love to hear from anyone anything that you found to help yourself or another official deal with players/coaches more effectively.

I will contribute one such story. I was watching an NBA game on television. The TV crew zoomed in on a conversation between an official and player. The player had just been hit with a Technical for swinging elbows after getting the ball. The player asked the ref why he got a Tech. The official responded, "Is that a rule?" The player replied, "I only moved my elbows around."

The official responded, "Is that a rule?" The player said he didn't know to which the official responded, "It is unsportsmanlike conduct." End of dialogue. I really liked how the official took control of the conversation by asking a question. It was so simple, but perfect.

Also, at a camp I attended, some officials told me to have some pre-rehearsed lines to use on a coach.
Examples:
"You've got my ear coach."
"I'm not yelling at you, why are you yelling at me?"
"I hear what you say, but I need you to get control of yourself and we'll go from there."
"I had great position. I'm not giving you that one."

I would love to learn more ways to handle coaches/players. Any situations you faced with very often? I read a thread a couple weeks ago that had various replies for when the coach asks you to "call it both ways." Good stuff. Add some more!