View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:27am
TODO: creative title here

Yeah, there's not much you can do about it.

The trail official (who will become the new lead official when we head the other way on a fast break), is often going to be out on the court to get the best angle on the action, especially in 2-person. This means that it's entirely possible that the new lead can get caught in the wash on a fast break the other way. When this happens, most officials will pause for a second, let the break clear, and officiate it from behind... which isn't ideal, but them's the breaks of 2-person.

We do try to stay out of the way of players as best we can, even in non-fast-break situations; however, they're younger and faster than us. When I'm transitioning to new lead, I'll hug the sideline if I can; but in tight gyms that's just not an option. I will do my best to not get between a player and the ball, but at some point I need to get to the end line, and if I need to go in front of a player standing on the wing, that's what I've gotta do.

The only coaching point I could potentially offer: the new lead is going to be on one side of the floor or the other... if you can identify where the new lead is, have your big guy set up on the opposite side of the floor away from the new lead. Or, if you're running players to both wings, try to make your first option be on the side away from the new lead.