View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Proper way to coach this?

Hi Guys,
I always like to preface my posts by announcing that I'm a coach and I appreciate what you all do.

I coach in a very tight gym. There are literally fans on the floor with about 1-2 feet of space between their feet and the sideline. The other side has no fans but the benches are the same, 1-2 feet between the bench payers feet and the sideline. So it is tight, plus I am always standing and have been good about avoiding officials since I'm used to it. But the other night we had a great game, close all the way through. Bleachers were packed and fans everywhere, plus the other coach was up and half on the court most of the night. The officiating crew works our games quite often but for whatever reason they were running in my fast break all night long. On nearly every transition my big guy who is running to one of the corners is waiting for the official(both of them) to get off the baseline to get to his spot. Several times my kid had an official running between him and the ball(ball crossing half court, kid near the sideline, official 6 feet off the sideline).

Now this was not a lack of hustle by the officials or anything and they did a great job and it worked itself out. But I am wondering how, if at all, you could be convinced to take a different path, or start deeper, or something... I truly don't know the answer that's why I'm here. I did ask the official I know best and he just turned and pointed and said look down the line where do you expect me to go? And I agreed, I just told my kid to run past the official(which led to the official between him and the ball) and as the game went on we slowed down or the officials sped up or whatever and it worked out. But I was just wondering if any of you have been in that situation and have some advice... short of building a new gym or changing my break.

Thanks!