View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
If we're going to get legal and technical about it. The suspension last year wasn't overturned by a court. A temporary injunction was placed that said they had to let the teams play while the issue was resolved in the courts. The appeal won't be heard until next month.
One of the elements courts entertain in deciding whether to issue an injunction is likelihood of success on the merits. So the judge issuing the injunction would have to have determined, in exercising his discretion, that there was some level of likelihood the players would win their claims. Judges also consider the concept of irrevocable harm -- that the players losing their chance to play, which could never be restored if they prevailed in their claims later, would certainly meet that standard. Without an explicit ruling from the judge (I didn't see it in a quick look, but it may or may not be available), it is impossible to know exactly how the judge weighed these and other factors in granting the injunction that let the teams continue to play. (Hmm, I'll be this is discussed in a thread from last year, too, but I('m too lazy to look for it.)