View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 05:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I'm not a fan of most of the advice so far.

1 - I don't think it's good form to threaten anyone with a technical.
I never understand this logic. If a coach cannot handle being told that their behavior or the behavior of others is going to lead to a penalty (like we would warn a lot of other actions), then that is too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
2 - I don't like - especially in this situation - to say something like "I'll listen to you" or "I'll listen to you all night, but not your assistants..." This isn't true. I will not listen to a head coach comment or complain all night.

When it gets time to warn, "Coach, this is your warning. No more."

For the bench, "Coach, control your bench. This is their one warning."
The point is to let the HS know that they are the only one with the privileges. That does not mean that we just ignore their unsporting behavior. These comments are strictly to let the assistants know who has more rights. For one it does me no good to try to talk to 5 different people about the same play.

At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you, but I have no problem being real with a coach about what is going to get them in trouble. Because if I do T them, they know where I stand. It is certainly better than the dreaded "stop sign" which IMO does not convey any information other than some standard that all coaches will not understand.

Peace