View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would not fault another official who made the call, and would back his or her play if it was called.

I see this as similar to the coach who comes out onto the court to get our attention to request a TO. By rule, it's a T that could be called. I just don't think it fits the intent of the rule.

Now, if the coach actually interferes in any way with the play I'd call it without hesitation.
If a coach comes onto the floor yelling for a TO I don't see it as being similar. It's more than likely we weren't hearing him. I could justify this to just about anyone.

In the OP's case I find it different and borderline unsportsmanlike behavior. What are you going to do when the other coach asks why you didn't give the coach a technical for running half-way onto the court to celebrate a basket?

The rule is the coach is supposed to stay in his box. The intent is to keep the coach from leaving said box. All the players didn't think there was a TO, but the coach did? This is one of those situations, for me, where reasoning doesn't hold much wait, if any.

I'm not saying it's wrong to pass on this, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing it.