View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
In regard to the OP, you can't let them get to you. I started to last night but ended up realizing they (the fans) were idiots. I had a team getting blown out, a very bad partner, and terrible fans in a small quiet gym. Every call some fan was yelling at me and I was making all the calls [emoji19]. In a loud gym, would never have heard it and it wasn't to a point of getting the AD involved, though she was standing right there if I would have needed to. I started to think "am I missing a lot here" until we had a shot hit the top of board and come back down in play and all the monkeys started howling for oob. At that point, I realized the idiots didn't even know that rule and to stop sweating their opinions. All said, have confidence in your ability to be a neutral arbiter and don't worry about the idiots howling.
BDR, thanks for sharing the anecdote [no snark intended], but you read something into my query that is not there: I'm quite comfortable with my officiating and game management abilities, and I don't let the chirping undermine my confidence. I was simply wondering if there are scientific studies behind the concept I now know is confirmation bias. For that matter, no one knows better than I do when I've kicked a call--I don't need the monkeys for that.

Last edited by LRZ; Tue Jan 19, 2016 at 09:58am.