Thread: Timeout!!
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because the request wasn't made when A2 caught the ball, it was made while the ball was in flight, which was denied (not granted) by the official. The request of timeout that's denied doesn't carryover over until the next opportunity to grant such a request. It takes a new request, when A2 catches the ball, which can then be granted by the official.
"If he makes this shot I'd like a TO ref." I'm not telling him to ask me again after a made shot.

I do like your explanation, kind of... my issue is the coach was asking multiple times. My question was to Bainsey's post and not the OP. I wanted a clear answer why he didn't give a TO when A2 had the ball and all I got was a rule that didn't tell me anything about what happened. I can see a coach asking for a TO on an interrupted dribble situation where he's praying an official kicks the rule to stop a potential steal. Yeah, of course I'm not even paying attention to the request. On the other hand, if A1 and A2 are by themselves in the BC and the coach says he'd like a TO but it's during a pass then I'm waiting for A2 to catch the ball and giving it to him.

If the coach keeps asking for a TO I'm not going to ignore him because it was a split second before a player caught the ball.