Thread: Substitutions
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

The second one is a correctable error. Had the officials been given the proper information, the substitute would not have been permitted to replace the designated FT shooter. That is the rule. Barring the error, that individual would have remained in the contest to attempt the FTs.

The difference between this and MTD's play is that the team and officials had all of the proper info in MTD's situation, yet freely chose to remove a player and make him ineligible until the next substitution opportunity. If someone fouls out or gets hurt or ill before that time, it's tough luck. They temporarily play with four until they have an eligible substitute. Check the past interp involving an asthma attack. It is unfortunate that Mary bought MTD's crying about having five players. We all know that she had a poor understanding of the rules.

The team needs to accept the risk that comes with utilizing its last or only sub. They don't get a free pass from the rules because they don't have reasonable depth on the bench.

I have some more example for you to consider. First, I'll comment on a genral principle that whenever a rule makes a team member ineligible, that individual cannot enter. It doesn't matter what rule it is. That person simply can't play. We don't set these rules aside. Sadly that is what MTD wants to do.
What do you say about these:
In all cases Player A5 fouls out and A6 is the only team member on the bench.
1. A6 was just removed for bleeding and is still bleeding.
2. A6 fouled out earlier.
3. A6 is wearing an illegal undershirt and refuses to remove it.
4. A6 has a hard splint on his hand.
5. A6 was just directed to leave the game due to not having his shirt tucked in and has not sat a tick.
6. A6 was subbed out and has not say a tick.

Would you permit any of these to return? If so, why are you willing to set aside one or some rules, but not others?

To me all of these team members are ineligible to participate at this time.