View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I am sure there has been a ton of debate on this in the past, but I want to first say that I have long struggled with this concept. In every pre-game meeting I have been in over the past few years, the R states (2 or 3 Man) "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."

I was looking for something else today and across the NFHS Officials Manual (I was looking at the 2013-2015 manual) Page 62, 3.3.2 C

1. When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an officials primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves into another officials primary area.

Is this a case where officials are disagreeing with the way NFHS states how this should be handled or has it just become the popular way of handling this over time (institutional/tribal), etc.?

Thoughts?
Not sure what area you're in, but around here, if the drive comes out of Lead's Primary, then he has that drive all the way to the hoop. The only situation where the lead should have first shot is in the case of a secondary defender, such as if the dribbler has beaten the original defender, and a secondary defender steps in and tries to take a charge. That would be Lead's first crack.