View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I wouldn't be upset with tossing both of them, either. I can see what APG is saying about windup. I looks like the defender wasn't just making sure the BH/D wouldn't' score, he was making sure the BH/D wouldn't dunk.

I also agree with APG's assessment of the L's actions immediately after the initial foul. Making the IF signal is all well and good but you just had one player knock another player into a (thankfully padded) wall. As I've been told by one of my supervisors, go to the victim. It might prevent the retaliation or even further action by the perpetrator. You can always make the signal once the players separate.
Do I understand correctly, that NCAA guidelines mention a "wind-up" as a factor to be considered, in judging the severity and consequent penalties, in such cases? I'm unaware of such statement in NFHS guidelines.
I've been taught, and follow the principle, when severe contact occurs, especially with the players going to the floor, first, to close in, and take care of the players, and any others who may join the scene. Then, on-site signals can be given. I also use my voice, and sometimes emphatically, to let them know that I'm there, close, and they need not retaliate.

Last edited by Rob1968; Tue Jan 12, 2016 at 11:35am.