View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NBA2003 Send a message via Yahoo to NBA2003
I have an interesting play--haven't seen it occur, but want to be prepared if it does.

Lets say that the offensive player shoots the ball (long 3 point shot) and 1/2 second after he/she shoots- the shot clock sounds. So the ball WAS released on time. As the ball travels through the air, the game horn sounds two seconds after the shot clock (I'm assuming the timer doesn't stop the clock because no whistle has been blown yet as we wait to see the outcome of the shot). The ball misses the rim. Would you put time back on the clock if you had correct timing information because the ball became dead when the shot clock sounded and the shot ended up missing the rim--that is when the violation occured. Or would you say the violation didn't take place until it missed the rim, so the clock should not have stopped.

I would think that the clock would not stop until we see the ball miss the rim. If the shot clock sounds and the ball does subsequently hit the rim, the clock would not have stopped. So what would we do in this situation? What would we do if the officials DID NOT have correct timing information?

Hope everyone has a great New Years!

Scott