View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They are not mutually exclusive. However, lots of these things aren't strictly mandated everywhere. If they are where you live, great -- do what you need to do.

A few years ago I had gotten into the habit of not stopping the clock on many out of bounds calls. Went to a camp and it was the first thing said in the classroom -- you *will* do this. Did it all weekend and haven't stopped since.

But if I were to stand there and call out a color and a number and give a preliminary signal on every foul, I'd be the only one in my area doing it. See no reason to be that person, either.
I admire your ability to state the crux of the matter.
A few of the comments, in this thread, would intimate that the preliminary signals are nowhere mentioned in NFHS literature.

In my area, because I mentor and train so many officials, I feel obligated to teach them by the book. And, as each young official progresses, he/she comes to understand that the protocol is flexible, and fit to the standards accepted in the area. I prefer to give the new officials a sound, book-based foundation. Their rules knowledge, individual mechanics, and positioning concepts are elements that they can study, work on, and develop off and on the court. (I often tell them to "wear-out a mirror" by practicing their individual reporting mechanics.)

Last year, an evaluator, unfamiliar with me, sent to evaluate my partner's performance, in a M/JV game, that I took as a favor to the assignor, told me to change a particular mechanic I had used in the 1st half of a game he was observing. His instruction was totally incorrect. And I did exactly what he wanted, for the 2nd half of the game.