View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Only once have I given a JV assistant (read V head coach) some slack. I had called a couple of his games that season already and knew him fairly well because of other things I was doing for the school district.

Middle of the 3rd quarter (he had been saying a few things but not being a pest) we have a full TO. I am standing at the block and he slowly walks toward me. Now, I know he just wants a question answered because he just asked it and I didn't have an opportunity to speak with him. However, when he got to me (before he had a chance to speak) I said "Coach, in this game you're an assistant. Don't say anything and go back to the bench." He just put his head down and returned from whence he came. After the game he stopped me and said (smiling) "You know, you could have just given me a stop sign and saved me some steps." I told him "And you know better than to come out onto the floor like that." He just looked at me strangely and said "Point taken"...then added "That's what I like about you...you know how to get you point across very clearly." Then we discussed his question and he was came to the realization that he was wrong...even admitted it (I refrained from saying "Duh" ).

Sadly, he has retired...good coach, very fair and a great man.