Thread: Ball status
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Ball status

I got to thinking about ball status as a result of one of the questions on this year's ASA Umpire Exam.

I'm wondering about when a batted ball is no longer considered a batted ball, or a pitched ball is no longer considered a pitched ball.

Examples to help clarify:

Many fields with a temporary fence may have a gap between the chain link fence and the start of the temporary fence. If a batter hits a fair line drive down a foul line and the fielder dives for it but it deflects off their glove and through that gap in the fence, I believe the 2 base award for runners and BR would be from the TOP. But say it was a pop fly that landed fair, is overrun by the fielder and when the fielder goes back to retrieve the now motionless ball, s/he inadvertently kicks it into DBT. Would that be 2 bases based on the position of the runners at the "time of throw", or in this case, kick?

Likewise, on a pitched ball. A pitch that immediately goes out of play (over the backstop or through a hole in the backstop is a 1 base award from TOP. Same for a deflected ball off the umpire or F2 that goes out of play. But if the ball has stopped rolling after bouncing off F2 and a defensive player while hustling to retrieve the ball kicks or otherwise knocks the ball into DBT, would that be a 2 base award from where runners were positioned at the time of that new impetus?

Thanx.