View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Obviously, pick and roll situations can involve different factors to consider so I’m taking what might be the most common pick and roll situation where a team is running its half-court offense. A screen is set short of contact at the side of a stationary defender who is guarding the player with the ball.

Generally, I consider this pick and roll as two separate offensive actions. Once the screener rolls out of the legally set screening position, I would regard the screen to have ended. I give the benefit of any doubt to the player that has simply turned away from a defender to run toward the basket as part of a legal fundamental offensive play. However, if the roll begins too late, the offensive player might illegally run into the defender who is already getting around underneath. I would call this a charging foul rather than an illegal screen. This seems much simpler and easier to me and, in effect, (not that it matters that much) coaches would have no basis for protesting, “How can that be an illegal screen? (“It wasn’t, coach. It was a charge.”) “But he was just rolling to the basket!” (“I know. And he rolled right into that defender.”) Easy to explain to the coach of the team that had the ball. Now, if the roll is done correctly, Camron said, “it happens fast” and, it must be well-timed. If the defender intends to go underneath the legal screen, he must first turn and a take a step back toward the basket, right? Knowing this, the screener times it so that the first step of the roll toward the basket coincides or is even slightly before the first step of the defender-meaning, the first step or two of each player would basically be going in the same direction. As the official, I don’t believe I can judge at that instant if there is an intended path of the defender being cut off, or, as Camron said, if the defender is just staying with the roll. Both players, at that exact moment are basically moving in the same direction in parallel pathways. Any contact most likely would be incidental just as it would anytime two opponents without the ball are moving side by side down the floor. That is how it can be explained to the coach of the defending team who wants to know “Why the no call?”
In my opinion, it’s not a “pick/roll.” It’s a pick and roll. Two separate offensive actions. I try to judge each one accordingly.
Thanks Billy great comments.