View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not quite true. Excessive is part of the definition of intentional foul, which is how we determine whether to ignore dead ball contact or call a technical foul.

The only way the ball is live immediately after a FT is over is if the shot is missed.

Most of these fouls are going to actually occur during the free throw, not after.
The vet in the OP said T so it'd have to be dead ball.

I believe officials are misusing the word excessive and why it was put into the rule book and highlighted for that matter. There's even a case book where there is a BLOCK and then contact. The foul is ruled intentional because the contact was excessive. Just because something is excessive, more than normal contact doesn't mean I'm calling anything on a dead ball. Now, there's a lot in the rules on when to call a dead ball technical for contact, and I don't think this was the intent of putting the word excessive on paper.

I'm not saying excessive contact is an automatic pass. I am saying that ruling contact is excessive and an easy intentional during live ball doesn't mean I'm calling a tech during a dead ball.

I don't see the connection between a live ball intentional due to excessive contact and there being a T on the same play in dead ball situation. I don't believe this statement can be used by itself as a reason for a T on the OPs play.