View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 06:23pm
Administrator

What I really carry in my basketball officiating bag.

When I was still officiating college basketball, a typical Saturday with a college game in the afternoon and a high school game in the evening I did not use a hanging bag but I carried two bags (one college and one high school) and each bag contained the following:

1) Warm up jacket.

2) Two shirts.

3) Two pairs of pants.

4) Two Ultimate Belts.

5) Two pair of shoes; yes, I owned four pair of officiating shoes that I rotated through the season (they were high tops).

6) Two pair of black socks and two pair of white socks.

7) Two pair of tie-up ankle wraps.

8) Two sets of officiating underwear; each set consisting of: i) one pair of white jockey shorts; ii) one white v-neck under shirt; and ii) one pair of black compression shorts.

9) One large towel for sweaty face at half time.

10) Two bath towels, one wash cloth, and one old worn out bath towel to stand on after a shower.

11) One pair of shower shoes.

12) One dop kit containing: soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, tooth brush, tooth paste, mouthwash, razor, shaving cream, and hair brush (yes, I did have hair at one time).

13) One bottle for drinking water.

14) One bottle of prescription grade Motrin and one bottle of over-the-counter Motrin.

15) At least six each of Mini-Fox 40s and regular Fox 40s; and at least a half a dozen each of both Smitty lanyards and regular lanyards.

16) At least two pairs of extra shoe laces.

17) At least two wet bags.

18) One bottle of shoe polish and one can of lanolin shoe spray shine.

I also had one briefcase that I would use for both high school and college games which contained all NFHS, NCAA Men's and Women's, FIBA, and NBA rules books, casebooks, illustrated rules books, mechanics manuals, Referee Magazine, and any other related materials with regard to the latest interpretations.

And yes the bag was big enough to hold a body if I need to dispose of a coach that I had whacked, .

Today:

Items (1, 2, and 3) go into a hanging bag. Items (4, 5, 6, 7, and 8) are reduced by 50%. Items (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17) are still in the bag. No need for Item (18); I just make sure the shoes are well shined. I still take the briefcase. And I never forget to pack my unloader brace for my right knee; in fact, that is the first thing that goes into my bag when I start to pack for a game.

And most importantly: Except for JrHS doubleheaders, I rarely officiate two games in one day.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio