View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Awesome point.

How come you think it's a screen when he's contorting his body? I would think in that picture he isn't set yet, and if hit, would be illegal. Therefore, I'm saying he isn't even set yet so I wouldn't start counting strides.

Given I'm wrong and we do give him strides here, wouldn't we give the defense more than one step if he is moving quickly?
He may be contorting his body but his feet aren't moving at that point in the video and the next time they do the movement isn't toward the defender. As I said, if the contact took place at the moment in the picture I would rule illegal because the screener wasn't in his vertical plane but that isn't what happened.

The screen itself probably begins a half-second earlier but it would've been harder to represent that point in a still picture. At any rate, the point the opponent gets into the path of the defender is when we start considering strides. As to how many strides, the last two lines of NF 4-40-5 read:

Quote:
The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent.
At most he gets two steps and it's up to the official to determine what's "normal" given the speed of the defender. He definitely had at least two strides to stop or change direction. It's not the screener's fault the defender's teammates don't like him enough to warn him
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Dec 14, 2015 at 05:55pm.