Thread: Head injury
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Partner goes in to see what is wrong and spend several minutes with the player. She coaches him to sit up when he is ready.

I ask my partner if she suspects a head injury. She confirmed I tells her that the player is then disqualified for the day as I suspect a head injury. She says that she agrees unless the tournament director says otherwise.

Partner feels that there is no expectations for us a officials to know the prototypical. However, my argument is that as high school officials there is an expectation both legally and ethically to protect the players and in addition we have liability if we suspected a head injury to have the player medically cleared (in Arizona a staff trainer qualifies as the medical professional).

FWIW both me and partner are high school varsity officials as certified by the state association
I'd do pretty much exactly what you did.

I don't see the connection on how your partner handled this and being a varsity official.

I cut out some of what you said, and mostly left it to show how poorly this was handled, unless I missed something.

Several MINUTES went by? How? Moment I blow my whistle because someone is hurt I'm yelling, "Coach." It's his/her responsibility to come over and deal with it. After that, it's gross negligence if you let them play without someone acceptable to clear them(If you think there is a head injury). No trainer to clear him? He's not playing.

You should feel like a hero for being there to handle this with some sort of decency.